Another day and another plant-based protein powder to take a look at. Everyone knows that protein is essential to your diet if you are looking to build and maintain your lean muscle. Even those individuals who are not looking to build any muscle, but only looking to shed some fat protein is still essential.
The majority of your protein intake should be coming from your diet, but at times it might be hard to get all of the protein you need from your diet. This is especially true for those individuals that are on vegan or vegetarian diets. This is where protein supplements come in, they can quickly boost your protein intake quickly and at anytime.
One such protein powder is Vega’s Organic Protein and Greens protein powder. This is not to be mixed up with Vega’s regular Protein & Greens protein powder, this is the organic version. This protein powder gives you the ability to add protein and greens to your daily diet and is especially a good choice if you are vegan or vegetarian as it is all plant-based. Let’s take a dive in, and take a closer look at Vega’s Organic Protein & Greens protein powder.
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (30g) | Calories: 110 | Total Fat: <0.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Total Carbohydrate: 6g | Protein: 20g
Ingredients: Organic Pea Protein, Organic Pea Starch, Organic Pea Fiber, Natural Flavors, Organic Pumpkin Seed Protein, Organic Spinach Powder, Organic Alfalfa Grass Powder, Xanthan Gum, Organic Stevia Extract, Organic Kale Powder, Organic Fruit Blend, (Organic Acerola Cherry Juice Powder, Organic Cranberry Powder, Organic Blueberry Powder), Organic Broccoli Powder.
Manufactured in a facility that also processes peanuts, dairy, soy, egg, and tree nuts.
A quick glance at the ingredients lists it looks like every ingredient that could be organic is organic except for the xanthan gum. Unlike other plant-based protein powders currently on the market, this protein powder comes with greens such as the organic spinach powder, organic alfalfa grass powder, organic kale powder as well as organic broccoli powder. This particular one also has an organic fruit blend that consists of organic acerola, cherry juice powder, organic cranberry powder and organic blueberry powder. Let’s take a closer look at each ingredient.
- Protein Blend – This protein powder uses organic pea protein and organic pumpkin seed protein as the main proteins in it. Pumpkin seed protein has an amino acid profile that is particularly rich in the BCAA Leucine, which is known to help give protein synthesis a kick start.
- Organic Spinach Powder – Spinach powder is essentially grounded up dried spinach leaves. This is a great source of protein as well as many other nutrients such as calcium and iron. Iron is particularly high in spinach powder, making it an excellent source of iron for anyone on a plant-based diet.
- Organic Alfalfa Grass Powder – Alfalfa grass powder has many benefits and is a powerful and nutrient filled superfood. It is in the same family of nutrient-filled grasses as the more popular wheat grass you may find shots of at your local Jamba Juice. This grass is loaded with vitamins and minerals including vitamin K, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin B and vitamin A. Minerals that are present are magnesium, sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorous, iron, and beta-carotene are all present in alfalfa grass.
- Xanthan Gum – I found it interesting that everything else is organic except for the xanthan gum, I just recently reviewed Orgain’s Organic Protein Powder and they use an organic xanthan gum. This is an ingredient commonly found in many protein powders, it is a food additive that is normally used to keep ingredients from separating.
- Organic Stevia Extract – This is a natural sweetener that is extracted from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant. This is normally substituted for sugar, some people dislike the aftertaste that it has. I personally think this protein powder has way too much stevia and this ingredient should be further down this list for sure. \
- Organic Kale Powder – Kale has a reputation that most people already know about and it is definitely well deserved. Kale is a superfood that is packed with vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium, and much more. Kale is great due to it having minerals such as calcium which is hard to get for people that are on plant-based diets.
- Organic Fruit Blend – This organic fruit blend is something that is noticeably missing from the regular non-organic protein and greens protein powder by Vega. First is the acerola cherry juice powder which is rich in vitamin C as well as calcium, iron, vitamin B3, phosphorus, vitamin B2, and vitamin B1. Organic cranberry powder is high in vitamin C, manganese, vitamin E, vitamin K1, and copper. and Organic blueberry powder provides you with more vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese and much more. All of these fruits are all powerful antioxidants and provide many other health benefits.
- Organic Broccoli Powder – Broccoli powder provides many health benefits along with many minerals and nutrients. Things found in broccoli powder are vitamins A, vitamin C, magnesium and much more. Broccoli powder provides health benefits due to its high antioxidants.
This protein powder is packed with nutrients that will replace at least some of your required daily fruits and vegetables. Many ingredients provide powerful antioxidants that help fight against the oxidation and protect your cells from the effects of free radicals. Antioxidants also help boost your immune system to keep those pesky colds away.
The flavor I purchased was Creamy Vanilla, I found that it mixed just okay. I only use water with my protein powders, and it wasn’t clumpy but I felt like it was a bit too thick. Combined the thickness with the chalky and gritty texture it was a bit weird. There weren’t any clumps in it though, even though I mixed it in a cup with a spoon.
As with many plant-based protein powders, it has a noticeable chalky and gritty taste to it. There has definitely been worse tasting protein powders that I have tried. It was as creamy as you could expect from a plant-based protein powder. The vanilla flavor wasn’t too bad, it is a bit sweet for me when mixed with the 12 oz of water that was recommended but was fine if I added a bit more water.
The sweetener that is used is stevia, and it does leave the stevia aftertaste in your mouth for a bit afterward. While the non-organic protein and greens come in a variety of different flavors, I have only been able to find this organic version of it in the Creamy Vanilla flavor.
When it comes to protein powder effectiveness isn’t the easiest thing to measure. For my reviews, I usually see how well the protein powder keeps me full if I were to use it as a breakfast
- Morning – If you are like me and tend to have no time in the morning, a protein shake is a quick way to get breakfast in. After taking my shake It kept me feeling full for about 2 hours before I started feeling hungry before lunch.
- After Workout – On the days that I workout I tend to take a protein shake after my workout if I wasn’t going to be eating for a while after my workout. Taking this shake after my workout didn’t last very long. I was hungry shortly after consuming the shake.
- Before Bed – The carbohydrate count in this shake isn’t too high so I don’t mind taking it right before bed. At times I consume a shake before going to bed if there was a large gap between dinnertime and bedtime. The protein and greens shake did a good job keeping me just full enough to help me fall asleep easier.
I thought it worked pretty well for what I needed it for. Check out his video from Vega on how you could prep your smoothies to make it easier to have your smoothies ready to go whenever you need.
I didn’t notice any digestive side effects of this protein powder, and it is dairy free so there shouldn’t be any issues for lactose intolerant individuals.
The only thing that truly bothered me for a bit was the lingering aftertaste in my mouth. The stevia aftertaste hung around for a bit longer then I had expected so it made everything I drank after that taste like it.
This is sold on Amazon for $44.20. Which for 26 servings it breaks down to about $1.70 per serving, which is a great deal for a plant-based protein powder. When you compare it to some of the leading competitive brands such as THRIVE which works out to about $2.00 per serving, Optimum Nutrition 100% Plant runs about $1.82 per serving. Even Vega’s Sports protein powder even works out to $1.99, only Orgain’s Organic Protein powder could compete with this deal coming in at $1.11 per serving.
Other than Orgain’s Organic Protein being cheaper, this protein powder is a great deal if you are looking for an organic plant-based protein powder, that also provides you with a serving of greens.
If you have a Costco membership, I have seen this being sold there for a lower price.
Walmart also carries this organic version: CHECK PRICE HERE
I liked Vega’s Organic Protein and Greens protein powder mainly for its nutritional value more than anything. I was not particularly a huge fan of the taste. Although a couple of other people in the office did enjoy the taste, I was just not a fan.
You can’t overlook the nutritional value of this protein powder just because of the taste though, each serving gives you a nice 20 grams of protein as well as two servings of greens. You need the protein anyway, why not get your greens in at the same time.
If you are having trouble getting the right amount of protein from your diet then a protein powder such as Vega’s Organic Protein and Greens protein powder could provide you with that protein and much more.
Have you tried Vega’s Organic Protein and Greens? What did you think of it? Let me know below. As always thank you all for reading, and if you have any questions, comments, or concerns don’t hesitate to leave them below and I will get back you to.